There are many factors that determine the indicators of heat for a private house. Quality and reliable insulation - only one of them that matters. Windows, roofs and entrance doors are most involved in the process of preserving heat. However, if high-quality plastic windows are installed, and the room is still cold, then the main problem lies in the door leaf. In this article you will learn how to insulate a wooden door in a private house, and what materials are best for this.
When do you need to insulate wood doors?
Entrance door constructions are a kind of shield that helps protect against a large number of external influences. Therefore, the products themselves should have maximum strength and reliability. Important and special characteristics that guarantee protection from frost and heat, odors and noise.
According to the advice of experts, insulation is important in the following circumstances:
- The design was originally purchased without insulation, just as a separate door.
- The old insulation of the selected type was mounted poorly or there was wear during the operation.
- The wooden door lost its attractive appearance, even if its installation was carried out correctly.
Older insulators are advised to replace when more modern materials appear that have improved characteristics. The implementation of the work with his own hands allows you to save maximum money.
What kind of insulation for the front door is better?
There are many materials to solve the problem of insulation, these are just some of the widespread:
- Styrofoam. Inside this material there are many micropores with air, thanks to which the heat-insulating characteristics of the door leaf retain a high level. The upholstery base does not matter.
- Polyurethane foam. It is considered optimal among other solutions that exist today. It is used both in rural areas and inside city apartments. But this material is expensive, besides, it is difficult to apply it on wooden surfaces.
- Izolon. This is a type of polyethylene foam, is a member of the regular foam rubber group. The cost of the material is also high, but the result pays for all costs.
- Mineral wool. This is a material that guarantees heat insulation performance at a fairly high level. Among the shortcomings can be identified only the ability to accumulate moisture. In addition, with the time of the mineral war can subside.
- Foam rubber. This is a kind of porous material that is available to almost everyone. The ease of installation makes it popular even among those who live in the countryside. The most budget view among heaters, installed even on the street part of the structure.
- Styrofoam. The ideal solution if you want to warm the input structure from the inside. It is distinguished not only by its low cost, but also by the fact that even over the years it does not change its original appearance.
Step by step instructions for weatherization
Sources of heat loss can be either the doors themselves or the presence of gaps between the sheet and the box. Therefore, it is necessary to take care of improving the properties in two directions at once, then insulation is most effective. Let us analyze a specific technology that can be used to insulate door structures.
Tools and materials
Before embarking on the process of warming the front door, you must carefully prepare. First of all, you need to acquire tools and materials that may be required to complete the task.
It is impossible to warm the doors without the following devices:
- nail puller or mounting;
- flat rail meter with a metal base;
- stationery knife;
- a tape measure with a pencil;
- construction stapler.
This set of devices can be expanded if necessary. But these tools are enough for most cases. Electric jigsaw can be an excellent alternative for a hacksaw - the work will be done with the same quality, but it will take much less time. A simple drill is suitable when a screwdriver could not be found in the house, the main requirement is the presence of reverse, then any nail or screw will be removed without any problems.
It is also necessary to determine the cladding material. Wooden doors after insulation usually sheathe dermantin.
You should carefully carry out each stage to achieve the desired result. Only such an approach will allow to distribute the forces correctly and in the future to do without additional repair.
The first step is the preparatory work:
1. First, remove the door leaf to the main obstacles were absent. The assembler and the nail puller will become irreplaceable assistants in this business. The canvas is easily removed from the hinges, if you slightly pry it from the bottom.
2. All components that can prevent further work are removed from the door: a lock, a peephole, a handle, door hinges with any type of fastening.
3. If there is an outer skin, it must also be removed, then it will be easier to gain access to the inner space. A nailing machine or installer will also help.
Cutting and laying insulation
At this stage, you should prepare the insulating material:
1. Initially, you should measure the voids in the door leaf, which must be filled, and make basting on the insulation.
2. The selected heat insulator is cut along the planned lines with the help of a clerical knife both in length and in width.
3. If the door has the form of a frame with voids, then the latter are completely filled. For this, it is necessary to insert all pieces of insulation as tightly as possible between the bars.
4. If the stock of the material is too large, it will interfere with the final skin. The extra parts are simply cut off with their own hands if necessary.
5. Insulation bonded with brackets. Thanks to the construction stapler, the work is accelerated and facilitated.
New door trim panel
New upholstery wooden doors - the next stage. Soft materials like dermantine, a skin substitute, are great. The upholstery should be cut, creating a certain stock of at least 10 centimeters. Then the material will easily bend and have some thickening around the perimeter.
It is best to use special nails when attaching dermantin. They are equipped with decorative caps, giving the design a more pleasant appearance.
We install loops with fittings
The removed accessories are put in place as soon as the door leaf acquires a suitable appearance with the correct thickness. The main thing that the loops fit right in their nests. Carefully cut the seat for the lock. Damage around must be absent, otherwise you will not be able to complete the work.
Even when the entrance wooden door is closed, a small gap still remains. Therefore, in the next step, it is necessary to eliminate the defects present. The main thing is to choose a seal that has the appropriate characteristics. Manufacturers today offer rubber, silicone and foam options.
Foam rubber quickly and easily solves the problem associated with drafts. Ideal option even for dachas where there is no operation with serious intensity. Silicone and rubber protect from drafts for a longer time. Products have such form thanks to which they adjoin to the basis as densely as possible.
After the seal option is selected, it remains only to finish the installation. To do this, usually use an adhesive strip or a harpoon in the groove. Self-adhesive products provide the maximum speed of the process, but the harpoon version wins in terms of durability.
In this case, the mount is carried out in the corner of the quarter. Therefore, the canvas easily falls into place without difficulty.
Of course, the best option is to independently perform most of the work. Then there will be no need to additionally invite specialists. The use of high-quality materials for this is not so expensive, but the proper level of protection from the cold will be provided.